The definition like the Eastern culture and the Western culture seems to have the same origin. If speak in the simple words, the Eastern culture means Asia and the Western culture means Europe and the USA. These cultures were developed together for some time, but after some time they are really different. They can have some the same features, but also, they are really different ones. If you wish to order cultural analysis essay, you will like our custom writing service. You can be sure, that you will get the best cultural differences essay in the world. So, let’s check this information in detail.
What is the culture of the East and the West?
The Eastern culture is the culture of the countries like India, Japan and a lot of other ones, which have a lot of traditions and habits. They would like to continue the old traditions and to not like to change them to something new.
The Western culture is the culture of the Europe and the USA, which contains from the dynamic lifestyle, development in the countries and a lot of new technologies, which were developed.
- The Eastern culture is not developed very quickly. You can see, that there are the traditions, which were presented even 100, 200 or even more years ago. At the same time, the Western culture is developed every day. You can see a lot of changes and a lot of new things, which are added to it every day.
- The main difference in these cultures can be in the religion. The Eastern culture can have a lot of different Gods and religions. People believe not in one God, but they have a lot of them, for example, the Gods of the sky, sun and other ones. But in the Western culture is only one God and a lot of people from the West culture accept the Christianity.
- The Eastern culture is built on the different ancient traditions and rules. The West can break the rules and change them with the development.
- The West tries to find more information about this world, but the East does not like a lot of modern technologies.
- The people from the West are the masters of the nature, but the people from the West live in the nature, they are together with it.
- People from the West can show their point of view directly, in a few words. They do not use very long sentences and words, but at that time, people from the East like to use such constructions and some citations. Sometimes, it is very difficult to understand each other for peoples, that belong to the different cultures.
- For the Western culture, the person is on the first place, but if we compare it with the Eastern culture, there the person is not on the first place. You will see, that here, people live for the others, but in the Western culture, people should live for themselves only.
- It is possible to see the difference in solving the problem. People from the West see the problem and do everything possible to solve it in the shortest way. At that time, people, that live on the East, will think a lot and will do all possible to find the other solution.
- It can be the funny fact, but there is also the difference in the mood and the weather in these cultures. If there is the sunny weather, all people will be glad, but the people from the East will be glad even if there is the rain, at that time, when the people from the West will not be so happy.
- If we would like to check the life of the older people in these cultures, it can be in this way. The old people in the West spend their free time with animals or traveling, but the people in the East try to spend a lot of their free time with their children, families and relatives. It is because of the fact, that people value the family traditions a lot of the East. The detailed information you can find in the importance of family essay.
- If we check the working sphere, we will see the different attitude to the boss. In the Western culture, the boss is accepted as the usual worker, which can even be your friend and you can drink the beer with him after hard working day. But in the Eastern culture, the boss is the wisest person in the organization and people really respect him. The more detailed information you can get in the essay on cultural diversity, ordering it on our site,
- If we compare the transport system, we will see this picture. For example, in 1970 people from the West used a lot of cars, but at the same time, people from the East used the bicycles. If we compare the year 2006, we will see, that situation has changed. People from the East use a lot of cars, at that time, when people from the West try to use a lot of bicycles.
- If people went abroad, you can notice, that people from the West just look everything and try to visit every famous place. At the same time, people from the East have a lot of cameras and try to film everything they see.
- If we compare the meals, it is possible to see, that people from the West like eating different east food, at that time, when the people from the East like to eat the European cuisine.
- All of you know, that people from the West cannot imagine their life without coca cola. They can drink it every day. But at the same time, the famous drink between the people from the East is tea. They have a lot of sorts and it is possible to purchase this product in the shop. The prices are high, but you can be sure, that you are drinking the real tea.
- As we have a lot of work every day, we can notice, that usually we eat hot soup or something like it only 1 time per day. But people from the East can eat the hot dish 3 times per day.
As we can see, all people are different and because of it, the cultures are different too. It is very interesting to find some new traditions and rules for yourself every day, because of it, if you need to write the cultural competence essay, you can easily place the order on our site and you will get the essay, which will exceed all your expectations.
1. Social Structure – In China the social structure is formal and hierarchical. You know where you fit in the structure and you abide by the rules there. There is no crossing into other areas. In America, it is much more loose and informal. It is not uncommon to see those of various social levels socializing and knowing each other. There are very few lines that socially are not allowed to be crossed. This can cause problems in business relationships if the visiting culture is unaware of it.
2. Confrontation/Conflict – If you are planning on conducting business in China or expecting an extended stay, it might be useful to know that the direct way that most Americans approach issues is not the way to go in China. Direct conflict or confrontation over issues is highly frowned upon. Doesn’t matter that the “truth” needs to be spoken, respect and honor to each person supersedes that. To prove a point and show yourself in the right even over business issues is considered shameful and should be avoided.
3. Self – The Chinese looks more at the group collective than at individualism. America has become known for its push of individualism which has been a source of conflict with other cultures that look collectively. A person from China is more prone to look at how their acts affect the whole instead of how it affects them personally. They are more willing to give up and sacrifice for the greater good. America’s individualism has been its backbone and the reason for its success as a world power, but when visiting China it needs to be reined in.
4. Face/Reputation – Reputation of the individual is very important in China. If an action will humiliate someone or ruin a reputation, it is avoided. When shame occurs, the person sacrifices their job or whatever it is that will heal the shame. In America, reputations come and go overnight and in the end usually does not matter. The end result is more of the focus. A person is more likely to overlook a reputation to get the job done.
5. Business Relations – When doing business in China, be prepared for much socializing. Business becomes secondary as the parties get to know each better. If it delays a contract, that is perfectly acceptable as long as the correct social time is allotted for. In America, business associates are usually more aloof. There might be some social gathering but the business is more important and the socializing will be sacrificed to get the job done if needed. Though there seems to be shift in America regarding this. The recognition of networking is becoming more pronounced.
6. Morals – Chinese society places high values on the morals of their people. Marriage is not encouraged until the late twenties. In fact, dating is discouraged early in a young adult’s life and proprieties are expected to be held up. The American culture is much more relaxed and some could even argue that there needs to be more moral emphasize.
7. Recognition of the Dead – One of the time honored traditions of the Chinese is the recognition of the dead. Once a year, all members of a family visit the gravesites of each ancestor and pay their respects. Honoring ancestors is very important in Chinese culture. This is in direct contrast to most Americans who rarely know where the majority of their ancestors are laid to rest. This might be due to the fact that most Americans are immigrants who either have lost the information on grave locations or the locations are in foreign countries. China’s culture is much older and the percentage of immigration is far less.
8. Humility – Humility is a revered virtue in Chinese culture. The success of one’s business or personal life is downplayed while in America the successes are lauded. Most Americans in the fast business world consider humility a sign of weakness. This can be an issue that hurts inter-cultural relations. Be very sensitive to comments and actions in the presence of another culture.
9. Time Sensitivity – Crossing cultures for business can be frustrating when it interferes with getting the job done. Most Americans are very time sensitive when it comes to meetings and deadlines. If the meeting was to commence at 2:00, then all parties are to be present at that time. The Chinese do not view time as an absolute but more as a suggestion. Concern is not expressed for a meeting starting late or ending at a different time. The same can be applied to deadlines. If a report is due on Friday, an American would be waiting for that report to be received before end of business day. The Chinese would not worry if it showed up several days later.
10. Respect – Being sensitive to another person’s needs is very important in Chinese culture. It is expected that you will respect the other person and treat them well. Their needs are met at each encounter. This is a characteristic that unfortunately has fallen on the wayside in most American circles.